Now I don't plan on this being an advice column and I definitely do not claim myself as an expert at this, but I am very passionate about fitness and healthy choices. I love reading magazines, blogs, and books about people's different journeys. When I was 19 (about the time I realized the freshman 15 was a real thing) to about 5 months ago, I'd consider myself a fad dieter, over-exerciser, and very inconsistent with what I was putting in my body. I wasn't happy- I felt angry at myself if I missed a day at the gym once a week or if I didn't go for a run. One day, I just stopped. In transition with moving and getting my new pup, I wasn't focused on getting to the gym everyday and it felt AMAZING. Now I truly feel like I have a hold on my healthy lifestyle. Here are 7 things that I feel account for my happiness.
1.
Walk- This has been a big one for me the past
four months. I am a huge runner and always have been. It’s therapy for me at
the end of a long day-headphones in and no worries. However, with the addition
of my new puppy, he wasn’t ready for long runs right away. This meant many, short walks at the
beginning. I turned out to LOVE them just as much as him. We all need short
breaks throughout our day to be outside, and active. Walking is a fabulous way
to clear your mind and give your body the activity it needs.
2.
Get a dog- Ok, now I understand not everyone
wants or can have a dog, but it seriously makes a HUGE difference in one’s
active minutes a day. I always feel accountable for taking my pup out for a
walk multiple times a day. If I don’t, he is either sitting at the door
whimpering or jumping on me trying to play. It definitely doesn’t have to be a dog, though. Finding a friend that wants to walk and talk 3 times a week is just
as good. Anything that holds you accountable to being active is key.
3.
Snack!- Yes, snack. People are always like “Get
that chocolate out of my face, or I’m going to eat it all.” Ok whoa. If you are
capable of eating it all, maybe you should give yourself a little break and eat
some of it. I think it’s silly to deprive yourself of your favorite foods. If
it’s something you love, eat it. Now obviously it’s not okay to eat an entire
bag of sour patch kids in one sitting. (These are my favorite snack food) Each
day I allow myself to enjoy a few snacks. After lunch a piece of chocolate-
either a dove chocolate square or a mini candy bar. I get my craving for it out
of the way and continue on with my day. After dinner, I also like to have a few
snacks. I put my sour patch kids or sour gummy worms into zip lock backs with
reasonable daily amounts. I enjoy my
snack. This way I am not craving it. We all know the times when we want it so
bad that we splurge and eat the entire bag. This is a simple way to avoid the
binge. The same goes with ice cream. I allow myself to have a few scoops of my
favorite kind ( Candy Bar Pie-Ben and Jerry's ) I don’t settle for
the fake, sugar free stuff that never satisfies my sweet tooth. I enjoy in
moderation.
![]() | ||||
| If I don't put my favorite crackers in a baggy I will (and have) ate the entire box. |
5.
Turn on the Tunes-
Sometimes it’s nice to get outside and enjoy the sounds of nature, however I’m
the type of girl that would rather exercise to music. Once my headphones are in, I am able to forget
about the distance I’m going and just go. It is totally worth it to take a half
hour to organize all of your favorite songs.
6.
Tone up- Even though walking and running are
great exercise, it’s not going to suffice when it comes to strengthening your
muscles. Now, I haven’t been in a gym in 5 months so I haven’t lifted a weight
in as long either, however, I’m still doing strengthening exercises to stay
toned. While I walk, I mix in lunges and squats. Thankfully, most of my walks
don’t take place on busy streets, so I am not worried about pausing mid-walk to
drop down and squat. I set a goal for each walk, maybe 20 lunges total and 10
squats. This way between a couple walks a day, I can get plenty of muscle work
in too. Another great muscle toner is walking or running backwards. The use of
different muscles will shock your system- which is exactly what you want! When
I first heard about this, I gave it a try. I was really surprised the next day
at how sore I was from simply changing the way I walked. While at home I have a set of 8 pound weights,
I like to use to do lateral and frontal raises, along with triceps. If you don’t
have weights lying around, get creative! Laundry detergent, a sack of potatoes,
and pop liters are just a few of the things I have used when weights weren’t
available. Along with these things I mix in a pushups and side bends.
7. Reward yourself- I don’t know how many times I’ve
heard, “After I lose these 5 pounds, I’m treating myself to Coldstone.” (or pizza or whatever it is they restrict
themselves from.) There are 2 problems
with this. 1. YOU ARE NOT A DOG. STOP rewarding yourself with food. Give yourself a reward that will last longer
than it takes to finish a bowl of ice cream and one you can feel good about. 2. DON’T BASE SUCCESS OFF OF THE NUMBER ON THE
SCALE. I used to be the girl that weighed herself everyday- happy when a lost a
pound, defeated when I gained a pound. How silly! Your weight is going to
fluctuate daily, due to water weight and many other factors. The added stress
you give yourself is working against you. Reward yourself based off how you
feel. Are you living a lifestyle that is healthy and active? Did you make good
choices this week? Hold yourself and
accountable and when you do, give yourself a reward. Buy yourself a new pair of shoes, get your nails done, go get a massage. Feel
good about the hard work you have accomplished and set goals for the next
week/month.




Love these!! Hard to remember at times but small changes really do make all the difference. Thanks for providing me motivation for the rest of the week! <3
ReplyDeleteThanks girlfriend!
ReplyDeleteNeeded this too!! Quick reminders to enjoy things and not deprive ourselves but also not work against ourselves! It's the little things! Also using the rubberband water bottle trick I fill out my bottle all the time but never know how much I drink) great advice!
ReplyDelete