Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Finding My Faith

Growing up I went to church whenever my mom rolled me out of bed on Sunday mornings. I took classes my mother stuck me in to get me through communion and confirmation- all the steps to be apart of the Lutheran Church .When I was a young girl I was taught to pray every night before sleep, and still did it as habit.  At Church I went through the motions, not really thinking or reflecting on what I was hearing. This never bothered me before- I never thought twice about it. I hadn't ever been provoked to think about my beliefs, and I didn't.

And then two events took place in one week- & my faith was found.

 
First, let's go back to the week before these events occurred. I was over at Nate and Aftan's for dinner (per usual). Aftan was going on and on about how excited she was for some lady named Theresa Caputo that was coming to Sioux City. She explained to me the T.V. show Long Island Medium and how she had tickets to go see her live next week.  If you are like I was and haven't heard anything about this lady- it is worth the look up. Basically, she talks to spirits of our loved ones that have passed.
 Now- when Aftan was telling me this,  I was a total skeptic. "I don't believe in that stuff" "It's all just fake."  Nonetheless, she was excited about it. My brother and I still thought it was crazy though. 

The weekend past and I went to school on Monday morning not at all prepared for a full day of parent- teacher conferences. When I got there, one of my coworkers stopped and asked me if I had heard of Theresa Caputo. Sooo I explained what I heard the week before. She went on to invite me to the show after her sister had to bail last minute. Wanting to spend some time with her and just have a fun night out, I decided why not? 

Then came The First Event- later that morning I received the call from my father that my grandpa had passed earlier in the morning. The months preceding this day had somewhat prepared my family and myself for this. However, this was the only grandparent I had ever lost and the first person in our family. I hadn't ever had to think about death. I hadn't ever had to know the feeling of losing someone, and I really didn't understand the reality of it until I heard my father's voice revealing the news of his own father's death. 

On Thursday we attended my grandfather's wake. After, we kept our word and headed back to Sioux City for The Theresa Caputo Show.  
The Second Event- was the entire show. It consisted of Theresa going from person to person communicating with many, many audience members and their deceased loved ones.   I am a person that must see it to believe it and I saw it-over and over again that night. The crowd was intense and very emotional, but it was an experience I will never forget.

I can't describe my new epiphany in any other way. I used to not think much about my faith or what I believed in. I did things out of habit and without my actual presence. And now- I'm church hopping to find something that fits for me and am I excited!





1 comment:

  1. Love this!!!! I have alway been big on faith!! Never had a church that really spoke to me but always have believed that my relationship with God is strong and real! Love you and so jealous you saw Theresa!

    ReplyDelete